Monday, October 10, 2011

"Why I Write" Response

Upon reading "Why I Write" by Terry Tempest Williams, I was most interested in the personification that the author used. It seemed that the author started to just state reasons of why she wrote at random, but then most reasons had a great sense of personification. For example "I write knowing I can be killed by my own words, stabbed by syntax, crucified by both understanding and misunderstanding." The author gave the reasons for her writing human-like characteristics in a dark sense. Not every example throughout this reading has a light side to it, for example "It doesn't matter, words are always a gamble, words are splinters from cut glass." She gives the reader an insight in that her writing at points can become a source of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment